Good morning everyone, today we are celebrating the 48th anniversary of the independence of The Bahamas and I would like to take this day as an opportunity to present to you a face of the country that probably didn’t know if you’re a foreigner. So let’s do it!
General informations about The Bahamas
– Full country name : the Commonwealth of The Bahamas
– Capital : Nassau (located in New Providence island)
– Independence Day : July, 10th 1973 (independence from the United Kingdom)
– National Anthem : March On Bahamaland (see more below)
– Motto: “Forward, Upward, Onward, Together”
– Political regime : Constitutional monarchy with a Parliament and a Prime minister
– Main political parties : FNM (Free National Movement) & PLP (Progressive Labour Party)
– Government website : Government of The Bahamas
– Main media : BTC, ZNS Network News, Our News, the Nassau Guardian, Bahamaspress and exclusively on social media: Bahamas News ma Bey
– Language : English
– Demographic : 385 637 hab. (2019)
– Currency: Bahamian dollar (BSD)
– Area code : +1 242
– Territory : More than 700 islands, cays and islets
– Main islands : New Providence, Grand Bahama, Andros, The Exuma, Eleuthera and Bimini
– iPhone flag : 🇧🇸
– Flag colour meanings :
– – the aquamarine colour stands for the ocean surrounding the land symbolised by the sand in yellow.
– – the black colour progressing from the left to the right symbolise the unity of Bahamian people through the country composed of oceans and lands.
– Most famous sport : Track and Field
– Elements of culture : Bahamas Junkanoo Carnival, Rake and Scrape, Bahamian Soca (music), conch salad, rice and pigeon peas (food)
– Famous personalities : Sir Lynden Pindling (politician and first Prime minister of The Bahamas in 1973), Shaunae Miller (track and field), Buddy Hield, DeAndre Ayton and Klay Thompson (basketball), Perry Christie (politician), Ronnie Butler (singer)
The National Anthem of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas
Lift up your head to the rising sun, Bahamaland;
March on to glory, your bright banners waving high.
See how the world, marks the manner of your bearing!
Pledge to excel through love and unity.
Pressing onward, march together
to a common loftier goal;
Steady sunward, tho' the weather
hide the wide and treacherous shoal.
Lift up your head to the rising sun, Bahamaland,
'Til the road you've trod lead unto your God,
March on, Bahamaland!
by Timothy Gibson in 1973
242 All Day Evry Day!